Friday, February 12, 2010

I am so confused what bedding should i use for my rats?

i have 4 male rats and have had them about 3/4 weeks now. i have gone through 4 different beddings sawdust, newspaper, dustfree paper cat litter and now carefresh. i am really confused because i have just read that care fresh is dusty!!!! can anyone tell me what is the perfect bedding to use!!! im fed up of hearing different things about beddings. what is 100% relaible!!!!!!!! please help me!!!!!!!!!!!I am so confused what bedding should i use for my rats?
Carefresh is perfectly fine. People say it is dusty, but that's a matter of preference. Some people just don't like the dust, bgut that doesn't make it bad for them. As long as your rats aren't sneezing a lot, it's fine!





The only BAD beddings are pine and cedar (aspen is not bad for them). Sawdust, as well, actually, because that can hurt their lungs.





I use fleece blankets, which I like because I save money on buying bedding. Just wash and reuse. :]I am so confused what bedding should i use for my rats?
As long as you avoid pine and cedar, anything else is your preference (and what your rats prefer of course).





Aspen shavings are nice, in my opinion, and so are the recycled-newspaper-pellet things, and corncob bedding is another alternative. I always gave my rats a big handful of toilet paper that they could use to shred and make a nest out of. So if you can afford it, and you like it, and they like it, and it's not pine/cedar, then you're ok.
I used to use aspen chips, but the vet told me that they're really bad for little critters. She suggested Carefresh, so that's what I've been using. It does seem a bit dusty when I dump it out of the bag, but my hamster loves it. I tried to save some money once and bought the imitation brand at Walmart, called Critter Care... Avoid it!! It's much cheaper, and comes in fun colors, but it smells horrible as soon as the critter pees on it. The Carefresh smells so much better. Good luck!
I use a product called ';Eco Bedding';. It has no dust, is very absorbent, and dries quickly. Your rats will love to nest in it, as well. I get mine at Petsmart and it's around $8 for the size of bag that I need for my three females which it lasts me about two cage cleanings, sometimes more.
Hi there.If you are having a dust problem with the regular Carefresh,I recommend Carefresh Ultra-it has less dust.My rats/hammies/piggies and rabbit love it-it's absorbent and much softer/more comfortable for them to snuggle up in.
Hey,


Aspen chips are acceptable but the absolute best (and what I use for my rats) is carefresh ULTRA.


It is a bit more expensive but it is extremely high quality and very absorbent.


Hope I helped


Dad to three baby rat girls.

No comments:

Post a Comment