Wednesday, February 10, 2010

My rats are STILL sick. :I what now?

so it seems my ratties are going to be sick forever. :'(


(the vet doesn't know what it is but i am pretty sure it's myco)


the first two weeks i had them they were on Sulfratrim. and now for about a month they've been on .05 ml of Baytril twice a day. their medicine finished today and they continue to sneeze and cough.


i thought that after all this medicine they'd be doing better...








so what now? has any rat owner out there ever experienced this before? what did you do?My rats are STILL sick. :I what now?
I had a very sick ratty who was sick for a long time.





My vet was good with dogs but not up on rats. We tried Baytril once a day for 3 weeks - no help. Tried Baytril twice a day for 3 weeks - no help. Tried Doxycycline AND Baytril TWICE a day for 3 weeks - all better and no sign of sickness months later.





One antibiotic is often not enough to knock a ratty illness on the head!





get your vet to prescribe both types - I think Doxy is called some other name in the US. Also Vibramycine is another antibiotic that is used with ratties, but for us after a long illness it was the Doxy Baytril combo twice a day that did the trick





My little ratty is healthy and happy and to look at her you would never know that she was so sick for so long %26lt;:3( }~~~





PS: I NEVER put any type of bedding shavings etc in with my ratties because the dust can irritate their airways. My ratties are litter trained and I only use recycled paper litter in an old plastic lunch box for their litter tray. Also, I ONLY use old cotton towels, handtowels, facewashers and teacloths as hammocks for my ratties and heavy cotton table placemats or cut up bathmats for cage floor mats and I change the floor mats DAILY and the hammocks every second or third day, wash it all in the machine weekly.


I also collect odd socks for my ratties to use for nesting material and change and wash them regularly as well.


Wood shavings especially should NEVER be used with ratties. Microscopic particles get into ratty's lungs and cause problems.


Mine love their nice clean soft fresh washed cotton bedding.


Do not keep your ratties in a drafty place, like near an open window or in an unventilated place, like an aquarium tank.My rats are STILL sick. :I what now?
try putting them into a dryer and warmer place like a sunny place for 3 to 4 hours a day in like a shallow box that high enough so that they wont crawl out and see how that works out, oh and one more thing try changing the bedding your using try ripped up toilet paper... Good luck with your rats!!!XD (you know what suks??? vets always say sumthing like i dont know what it is...they dont deserve the job...but i know how you feel)

No comments:

Post a Comment